Tuesday, September 23, 2008

on the power of health Insurance companies


So...recently I had a major shock when I retired early (62) and found I couldn't get health insurance. I was rejected becasue I have high blood pressure and cholesterol--so do 65% of women in my age bracket according to the CDC. Of all the people in the US with these two ailments, over 50% are women over 60. So when an insurance company rejects us on the basis of pre-conditions are they rejecting an entire class of people...is that possible? A few years ago my cholesterol levels were considered good at just slightly over 100. then the insurance companies funded research and dropped the "healthy cholesterol levels" from 200 to 100, so now I'm at-risk and I have to pay higher premiums. Hmmmmmmm!!!. Ditto for blood pressure. Ditto for weight. Ditto for a number of health issues that are very common and that the insurance companies don't want to pay for.

My husband went for a physical and was told that since he was slightly overweight, they now consider him obese and won't cover him either. He's an athlete with minimal weight gain. I found out the same company that rejected us on an individual contract was willing to take us when the State was paying the bulk of the premiums. So where's the insuranc risk? Theya re supposed to be making profits based on their exposure to risk, but when ther's no exposure to risk...you see what I mean?

Insurance companies, banks, and investment firms are the bane of existence in the US. With McCain talking about de-regulating this industry is it any wonder that so many Americans are seriously thinking of going overseas in their golden years--somewhere cheaper, where health care doesn't have to consume 60% of their monthly allowance? We don't need de-regulation in this industry. We need a single service provider--the state. Let's talk about the basic needs of citizens,--food, housing, health, transport, education and once those costs are covered in our national budgets then let's talk about other issues.

No comments: